Day 2
Our second morning on the ice!
So, all of our cold weather gear is black. I get the parkas mixed up. I have lots of room in mine. Cindy? Not so much. She is miserable, can’t sit comfortably in the uncomfortable qamutik seats as we bound carelessly over the ice. I am seeing divorce proceedings in my future. We stop for a potty break. The expedition leaders have learned quickly that, with several postmenopausal women in our troop, the bathroom tent needs to be set up before the last qamutik even stops sliding. Cindy and I switch jackets, and the imagined lawyers have to pack up their stuff and move on.
![]() |
| Proverbial ‘floe edge' |
It is colder than the first day, twice as cloudy to start, but the sun finally comes out and it warms up.
We are closer to floe edge. Right on it, in fact.
We are closer to floe edge. Right on it, in fact.
More birds.
![]() |
| Birds, lots of birds. |
![]() |
| Ice can be beautiful! |
![]() |
| See those tiny dots on the horizon? Narwhals. |
We see narwhals (?). Who knew that narwhals looked like tiny black dots on the horizon? I thought they had tails and tusks. Note to self: bring binoculars next time.
Cayden builds an igloo.
Dinner was Spaghetti Bolognese.
Vickie gave a talk on birdlife of the area. Poor Vickie. Little did she know that we had David, the bird expert with us. However, I can now tell the difference between a Thickbilled Murre and a Gallamont. Both birds are black and white, but the Gallamonts have little red feet. So, there.
Cindy spent most of night losing stuff in her bed.





No comments:
Post a Comment